Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hip Hip Hooray!

It's been a year full of exciting news! I won't bore you for long...just a quick update.

First off, I got a call at the end of January from the teacher that I student taught under last year...she wanted to see if it was okay with me if she mentioned my name to the principal because they had a 5th grade position coming open. Due to budget problems, she didn't think that they had the money to hire a teacher but she thought maybe I could do some long term subbing. Of course I said yes, because any permanent teaching opportunity was a step up from the on-call subbing that I was doing! It just so happened that I had also accepted a management position with a tutoring company in Durham that same day. That night, I went to bed a very happy girl. I thought that I would be subbing and then tutoring as well. Turns out, things don't always go the way that you plan them to. God had a different plan for me.

The following Wednesday, I got a call from the principal. She asked me if I would be interested in the job, and she told me that she was going to recommend me to the board in Alamance County--as a certified teacher! As long as UNCG had applied for license, I could take over the job full time as a teacher with a temporary contract. As you can imagine, I was over the moon. I talked to her a few more times just to confirm with her, and she asked that I start in a subbing position on the following Monday until the recommendation could go through and I could become official. SO, long story short, I've been a fifth grade teacher for two weeks now and I'm absolutely loving it. I had to turn down the job with the tutoring company because the demand of being a full time teacher is much more than just simply substitute teaching.  The kids are having a little bit of a tough time adjusting, but we're beginning to bring things together beautifully. :)

The second piece of news--well, actually. I can't say anything. But I'll let the cat out of the bag as soon as I can! I'm really excited about this one, too.

I'm excited to spend my first Valentine's day with Zach tomorrow. He's got something planned and I have no clue what it is. It's going to be a long day, trying to teach while being so excited about our date! I love Valentine's day.

Lots to be excited about and thankful for, lots of blessings in my life in just 2 months! Here's to making 2011 the best yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment