Friday, July 15, 2011

Comfort Food

Today, I found out that I didn't get a job that I interviewed for. Womp womp. Tonight, ironically enough, I had planned to cook chicken pot pie for dinner. I don't know, maybe it was because I knew in the back of my mind that I didn't get the job. Maybe it was the good Lord trying to tell me not to worry. I can imagine him and my granny standing up in heaven right now, looking down on me and thinking Don't worry your little head, child. Everything will be fine. In fact, I have another interview lined up for next week. Perhaps this first interview process was just His way of preparing me for this next one, which might just be the perfect one. He needed me to see that it was nothing to worry about; nothing to stress over.

Anyway...this post was supposed to be about my yummy dinner that I cooked! Chicken Pot Pie has always been one of my favorites, and it's definitely a comfort food for me.

 It was my first attempt. I was very weary at first because I didn't think I was quite up to trying something so difficult, but it turned out to be a lot easier than it looked...maybe I'm becoming a domestic goddess after all!

[insert clever name here] Chicken Pot Pie

I originally stumbled upon this little beauty of a recipe. Since I've recently discovered my inner housewive and have starting to get more bold in the kitchen [i.e putting my own spin on recipes and not following exact directions], I figured I'd start there and let it go wherever it ended up. 

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 package of refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
  • 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed/shredded
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped (I used fresh ones)
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 cup  frozen green peas
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/3 cup milk
Directions (I always measure out and combine my ingredients during prepping; maybe it's because I'm OCD still a newbie):
  • Place pie crust a round pie dish (glass is recommended, but I used a cheap aluminum on because we don't own a glass pie dish).
    *Disclaimer: Follow the directions on the box, otherwise you'll be sorry.
  • Cut up chicken, celery, carrots, and onions. In a saucepan, add all of these plus the green peas. Add water and a splash of chicken broth to cover the ingredients, and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and put to the side.
  • Combine flour, salt, black pepper, and celery seed in a small bowl.
  • Combine milk and chicken broth in a medium sized bowl.
  • In the same saucepan, cook onions and butter until the onions are soft and you can see through them translucent. When onions are soft and translucent, slowly add flour mixture and milk mixture. Be aware of clumping. Simmer on medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
  • Place the chicken&vegetables in the bottom pie crust. It should come to the top of the rim.
  • Pour hot liquid over chicken&vegetables. 
  • Place top pie crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape. We don't want any exploding pies.
  • Optional: place pie dish in larger dish to catch any spillage [another newbie trick...]
  • Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
  • Let cool for 15 minutes before serving
  • Enjoy! 
Boyfriend even commented that it was the best chicken pot pie he had ever had. He might just be stroking my ego since I'm feeling a little bit like Alexander this evening, but I thought it was pretty yummy too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment